Thursday 25 January 2007

Old Blog Posts from MySpace

Daily P/L: £26.99
Monthly P/L: £260.70

Before the Tottenham-Arsenal game I'd decided just to trade to the first goal or bail at half time if it was nil nil. The odds were close on both teams which virtually guaranteed profit matter who scored first (and I covered myself on 0-0 result), although it would probably be a fairly small profit. I laid the draw at 3.5 and waited for a goal. Once it had gone in I hung on a bit for odds to settle and then bet at just about 4.6 to make a small profit. As I did Tottenham got a free kick. I cancelled the bet (fortunately still unmatched), Huddlestone whipped it in, Baptista got his first of 3, I bet back on the draw at much better odds and took nearly 30 quid profit for just over 20 minutes listening to the football. Fortunate that I got as much as I did but can't complain.

11:51 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove


Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Never in doubt
Current mood: productive

Daily P/L: £21.35
Monthly P/L: £236.71

Despite everyone saying how bad Chelsea were and the potential banana skin in tonights game against Wycombe, I had a feeling Wycombe wouldn't be able to perform at the Bridge. Layed the draw and took my money and ran after Shevchenko's first. After the weekend off trading its nice to be back winning again. Arsenal-Tottenham tomorrow will hopefully carry on the trend.

9:06 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove


Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Amateur
Current mood: relieved

Daily P/L: £18.35
Monthly P/L: £215.36

Since the last post I've traded on 2 games both in the FA Cup 3rd round replays. Today Newcastle v Birmingham and yesterday Man City v Sheffield Wednesday. I should've posted yesterday but was too pissed off with myself with the mistake I'd made. Basically my browser was having problems refreshing pages on Betfair during the game so I was using Bet Angel Basic to keep up to date with the odds. Because the game was a bit slow I started to mess about with the Bet Angel interface which I haven't really used before. At some point I must've selected the green button next to either Sheffield Wednesday or Man City by accident. I looked back 5 mins later and realised that I had potential to lose quite a bit if it was a draw, even though I'd still be in profit if either won. I bailed out, and lost a bit of money on it. About 30 seconds later just to rub salt in the wound Man City scored which would've guaranteed me another 18 quid profit no matter what the result. So todays result was bittersweet, mainly just trying to cover yesterdays mistake. I was planning on stopping trading at half time in todays game anyway, for a small profit, but Birmingham carried on well and popped in another just before that to make me a bit happier about the situation.
Lesson Learnt!

9:30 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove


Monday, January 15, 2007

League 2 risks
Current mood: chipper

Daily P/L: £17.16
Monthly P/L: £211.16

After debating whether to trade on the Walsall-Grimsby game and weighing up the chances of a profit (Walsall almost certain to win, and have been scoring regularly in the first half so far this season) against the fact that I couldn't actually follow the match live (My flat hasn't got Sky Sports and BBC online coverage is a few minutes behind the live game), I bit the bullet and decided to trade on it, hoping that Walsall score early so I could take my profits and leave. They got the goal after 27 minutes, so I got out straight away (could've hung on for more profit but too risky without being able to see the game live), taking just over £17 profit regardless of the result, and taking my overall winnings since the start of the month back past the £200 mark. Nice.

8:51 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove


Sunday, January 14, 2007

First week of trading
Current mood: thoughtful

Weekend P/L: £81.37
Monthly P/L: £194.00

I began trading on Betfair just over a week ago, last Saturday. After making about 18 quid off small bets, and beginning to get comfortable with what I was doing, I upped my stakes and have since had a very profitable time.
Before yesterday and the first weekend of Premiership trading I had made £112.63 on the FA Cup and midweek games.
Yesterday Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd all did the job for me taking my profit to slightly over two hundred pounds. I felt a bit dubious about trading on the Tottenham-Newcastle match today, as I had a feeling the odds could go a bit flat, as it should've been a close game (as it turned out it was). But I put money on it anyway and could've made money on it if I'd waited for a couple of minutes more, but backed out early making a small loss on it.
However with weekend winnings of over £80 and overall winnings for just over a week of trading standing at nearly £200, I am very happy with the way things are going so far.
Next week doesn't have too many good games for trading on, so it might be a while before my next post. But the Walsall-Grimbsy match tomorrow evening could be tempting...

7:47 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Jumping on the bandwagon
Current mood: optimistic

After a month or so of looking at other people's MySpace decided to make one of my own. As you can see its a complete waste of a website but I'm hopefully gonna make good use of this blog to make up for it.
Most of the people reading this won't care about anything after this point so you may as well stop now.

Anyway, as the story goes...

I know a guy called Mark, who like me, likes the thought of making easy money. He's been into gambling on horses and sports in general for a while now. I saw him on boxing day and he introduced me to trading on BetFair. He'd signed up for it a couple of months ago and had made a good amount of profit so far. I was interested and he explained how its done - basically there's no bookmaker, just people betting against each other and specifying their own odds. You don't just have the option of betting on an outcome but also laying (betting against it). Mark bets on a lot of different sports while they are in play, and while this seemed like a good way of making money, it is also time consuming, and the markets are often too volatile for beginners. (If you want to have a look at his site go to www.markiverson.com. His blog's quite interesting if you fancy getting into this sort of thing and is kind of what I want to achieve with this blog).
Anyway, I looked into less time-consuming ways of trading on BetFair and found a method of betting on football that basically is:
Before a game lay (bet against) a draw.
If someone scores during the game then the odds on the draw will get bigger.
At this point bet on the draw.
This means that you are betting both for and against the draw, and so whatever the outcome you will make a profit.
Its obviously not as simple as just that otherwise everyone would be doing it already, but with a bit of common sense and not being greedy you can make a lot of money off it.
Just like I copied the rest of the world in making a MySpace page, I'm going to copy Mark by making a blog detailing my profits and (hopefully no) losses of trading on BetFair.
Enjoy!

No comments: