Saturday 17 February 2007

Bad losses

P/L since last blog: £200.58
Monthly P/L: £208.75

This weekend was meant to be fantastic for trading, with three televised FA Cup games and Chelsea playing a Championship side. and everything was going great at halfways through the Man Utd-Reading match.
Up until this point Arsenal had drawn with Blackburn, which had lost me money but fortunately I had covered 0-0 so the loss was minimal. The Chelsea game went my way, with them scoring in the first half securing a profit. I waited until the second goal went in before trading out for a win which put me back in profit for the month.
Then came the Man Utd - Reading game. With Man Utd taking the lead at the end of the first half I was ready to trade out for another profit, and leave myself at about fifty quid up for the month. However I was greedy. The odds didn't seem to be moving in my favour much, and I decided to wait for their inevitable second goal to make myself a very nice profit. When Reading scored I was gutted, but with Man Utd ever threatening I assumed that they would grab the winner. It never came, and before I knew it the final whistle had blown without me betting back on the draw. A huge loss and all because I was greedy.
A valuable lesson learnt, and this loss has set me back about a months worth of trading. I wouldn't have minded so much if had come in a boring 0-0 but with a chance to leave for a profit earlier in the game I can't help feeling very stupid.
But as they say 'Every cloud has a silver lining', and I've got some replays to look forward to to claim some money back! Still over £100 in profit for the year, but should be much more.
Muppet

2 comments:

Mark Iverson said...

Hi Clive,

Writing about the losses is much harder than writing about the profits - try and stick to your rules and you'll get back on track.

Mark

Clive said...

I realise that now. Can't believe I messed up so stupidly. One mistake and its virtually wiped out last months winnings. I'm going to be a lot more careful from now on and try to avoid being so greedy!